Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:10:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bob Vaughan <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release fails

> In article <199811140506.VAA29699@tantivy.stanford.edu>,
> Bob Vaughan  <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build a release for local use, and I keep running into the
> > following problem.. (all sources cvs'd this week, several times..)
>
> I hear you saying it, but to me it looks like your sources are not
> up to date.

First of all, I sent this to stable@freebsd.org, not current@freebsd.org..
I'm using the following cvsupfile..

*default  host=cvsup.freebsd.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_2_2
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default  compress
src-all
cvs-crypto

I've tried several times, on several different machines, using both my local
cvs mirror, and cvsup.freebsd.org, and I always get the following version:

#       $Id: Makefile,v 1.143.2.16 1998/06/11 20:22:14 guido Exp $

deleting or renaming the file results in checkout of the same version.

> > it appears to be choking on the following line in /usr/src/etc/Makefile:
> >

> > BIN1=   aliases amd.map crontab csh.cshrc csh.login csh.logout dm.conf \
> >         ftpusers gettytab group hosts host.conf hosts.equiv hosts.lpd \
> > 	inetd.conf login.conf login.access motd modems networks \
> > 	newsyslog.conf phones pccard.conf.sample printcap profile protocols \
> > 	rc rc.conf rc.firewall rc.local rc.network rc.pccard rc.serial \
>
> This line has said "MACHINE_ARCH" instead of "MACHINE" since around
> the end of August.

for the RELENG_2_2 tag? if so, something is broke..

> Make sure your sources are really up to date.  Also, do a make world
> first, before you do your make release.

I quote from my original email "following a make world, make release fails
like so:"

Bob Vaughan  | techie@w6yx.stanford.edu | kc6sxc@w6yx.ampr.org
             | techie@t.stanford.edu	| KC6SXC@W6YX.#NCA.CA.USA.NOAM
	     | P.O. Box 9792, Stanford, Ca 94309-9792
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --