Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:23:09 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        "C. Michailidis" <dinom@balstonresearch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall automatic filesystem size generation.

C. Michailidis wrote:
> Remember, I'm talking about the 'path of least resistance', I understand that
> I could label the slice manually with any number of different configurations.
> The issue I was hoping to shed some light on is... "Can the auto-configuration
> mechanism stand to be improved?". Is it reasonable (in today's era of dirt cheap
> disk space) to have a mere 256MB allocated to /tmp (or /var or even /) by
> default?

The default sizes are now currently 512 MB for / and /tmp, and 1024 MB plus
space for one crashdump on /var.  If anything, these are vast overkill for most
systems; on /, for example, it is hard to imagine a situation where a normal
user would use more than 150MB of space unless they were doing something which
they shouldn't be doing.

Colin Percival