Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:48:04 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <freebsd@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing a different PORTVERSION based on OSVERSION?

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Darren Pilgrim <freebsd@bitfreak.org> wro=
te:
> Wesley Shields wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 07:26:39PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm working on a revision to a port where the current version doesn't
>>> work on 8.0-R; however, an older version does. =A0Rather than roll the =
entire
>>> port back to an older version, I'd like to have the newer version avail=
able
>>> to 7.x and older and the older version available to 8.x and newer. =A0I=
s it
>>> appropriate to install different versions of a port based on ${OSVERSIO=
N}?
>>> =A0If so, do I just set the necessary variables after including
>>> bsd.port.pre.mk?
>>
>> This seems like a bad idea to me. How much effort would it take to fix
>> the port on 8.x and newer?
>
> The port contains a static-linked binary from the vendor--not something I
> can patch.
>
>> The other option is to mark it broken on 8.x and newer.
>
> The port currently sets BROKEN if OSVERSION >=3D 800000.

    Vendor provided binaries are a fun ball of wax to deal with
because you need to have all dependencies come from the same generic
pool as the package [/ port] itself, as any
    This sounds trivial, but it requires changes to pkg_add (for
fetching / installing a particular revision of the code, as well as
`slotting' the packages themselves), determining elf-version, ld
modifications, as well as a few other things. It's been implemented at
my work [Ironport] from what I've been told, but 1) I'm not sure how
complete it is, 2) I'm not sure how tested it is, and 3) it hasn't
been reviewed yet and I'm not sure how much would be put back in the
community at large to be honest...
HTH,
-Garrett