Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:01:23 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, root@meeko.eecs.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: AMD K6

>	I ma currently test driving an AMD K6/200 in a
>FIC PA-2005 motherboard and I am getting a lot of crashes.
>(actually it looks like a reset, no cores, no console messages
>just a spontaneous reboot). I am wondering if anyone has seen
>the K6 do similar things.  The vendor says "The K6 does support
>UNIX", but I am inclined to believe that he doesn't have a clue.
>I am thinking I will return the K6 and get a Cyrix M2, any thoughts?

   In tests here with a K6/166, I've been having some reliability problems
that I've isolated to the CPU. The main symptom is that "make world" will
stop with a random error. When I first got the hardware, everything worked
fine - I did at least 10 "make world"s without any trouble, but then things
started getting flakey. I've heard similar reports from two other people,
so this appears to not be an isolated problem.

-DG

David Greenman