Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:19:36 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libc_r badness

Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> wrote:
> [ Why is this developers and not -current??? ]

(Actually, it should be -arch.  That's a lapse in my judgement.  Moving
there...)

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> > The only problem I have is that libc_r still doesn't depend on libc, so ALL
> > old apps that are linked in what was previously the correct way immediately
> > break.  However, chances are it's so hard to make a correctly compiled old
> > binary with just libc_r and not libc, there are likely to be many that don't
> > break ;)
>
> John Polstra made the -pthread option work for the new libc_r (so it
> automatically links in both libc_r and libc) a few days ago.  This option
> should be deprecated eventually, so one shouldn't get used to it.  But
> this will allow ports that haven't been modified yet to continue to work.
>
> This is -current, and a HEADS UP was sent saying that you have to rebuild
> your threaded apps.

It's breaking it gratuitiously though.  What's the reasoning behind not
having libc_r depend on libc?  You can't use libc_r without libc, and you
certainly would have to go through a hell of a lot of trouble to replace
libc with something libc_r would link with.  What good does libc_r do
linking standalone?

> > Is there a good reason not to do this?
>
> Yes, because libc_r shouldn't contain libc.  That was the whole point
> of the changes I recently made to libc and libc_r.

That doesn't make it contain libc.  It makes it depend on libc.  Tell me,
why can't libc_r depend on libc, and what good does libc_r do without libc?
And, if libc_r is useless without libc, why can't it depend on libc
automatically?  I still see the same benefit of having libc be modular
whether or not libc_r sticks it in the ELF library dependency section for
its own use.