Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 11:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   mv directoryhere [vs.] tar/untar

A question somewhat along the lines of whichcamefirstchickenoregg but also
along the lines of preference...

When moving a large directory (for example, from my mounted /msdos
directory to my FreeBSD mount), in the interest of time and data integrity,
is it better to mv a directory or tar it to, then "untar" it in, the new
location?

I might have recently damaged some mp3 files during a huge "mv" process by
frequently interrupting it with ctrl-z (suspend), "bg %1" (for example),
and SIGHUP and/or killing the process.

Final comment... isn't there a "smart" mv command or flag that interweaves
subdirectories together (i.e. if one already exists at the destination)?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder