Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 17:29:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@nvl.virginia.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

> You wrote:
> > <Puts on flame-retardant asbestos suit>
> >
> > We must take a stand, and tell the Justice Deptartment to bugger off. They
> > do not understand the software industry, they are setting a horrible
> > precendent, and depriving the American people of free choice.

	Ok, I've tried to stay away from this, but I cannot resist.  I
agree that MS should be able to choose the definion of its software
packages, but likewise so should its resellers.  Maybe they do not
understand the software industry, but they do understand monopolies and
unfair trade practices such as collusion and covert oligopolies.

	If going after microsoft on nits such as the explorer seems myopic
and ill conceived, recall how many major organized criminals are caught in
the U.S.: tax evasion.  I don't think anyone disagrees that MS needs to be
curbed to preserve free competition and the incentive to innovate.

	If viewed from this perspective, I say go for the jugular.  MS has
already lowered the consumers' expectations for software reliability so
much that it is hard to convince people that there are mythical machines
that work for days, weeks, months and even years without a single software
failure.

	[BTW, I gree with one of the other posters: let's let this move to]
 	[chat and stay more freebsd centric on our advocacy discussions.  ]

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,