Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 04:17:08 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        JT <luser@ahab.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sPAM'd SSHd [was Re: 4.2 STABLE: libssl.so undef: sk_X509_NAME_value]

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> The OpenSSL 0.9.6 import which happened some time after 4.2-RELEASE
> broke binary compatibility (so you had to recompile certain apps as
> you discovered), but I didn't notice because none of the test
> applications I used happened to use those functions, and not enough
> people bothered to test it when I asked prior to import for it to be
> discovered (actually, a few people apparently did notice, but declined
> to inform me :-(.  Oh well, I'll be more vigilant in future.

Yeah. Sorta. Guess what. The fat lady's *still* singing! Off key, too.

This project is turning into a ... well, words fail me. Now there's
a novelty for ya <g>.

I mean, even colocating ISP's are kicking the bucket on me! Is this
natural or what?

Due to that sortof 'things' I was fighting deadlines. We're talking
delays of over 4 - that is: F-O-U-R (i.e. 4) - weeks. That ain't
chicken feed. Heck, them chickens would've been dead by now!

[long diatribe discarded tx to me rediscovering UPDATING]

As I was saying, we all got our own itty bitty problets. Like, say,
would you happen to know what would explain the BSD box getting
http://nl.nisser.com/ just fine with lynx, but any WS behind it not?
(using W'ze NS or IE or even F'BSD lynx; using a not-updated-
recently 3.4 Fbsd) [*]

Or why PAM has to be so frigging detailistic? It tripped over a
requisite clear_pass...something I patched in (i.e. copied from ftpd).
Tsk. Nitpicking.

[*] or why I can have a telnet or ssh session from a NT box behind
the 3.4 box but not such a www session? I did NOT touch that Fbsd
box in 81 days (actually way more, but... long story). NAT is still
running and the divert rule is still active. Whoa boy, why me?

Ah well. Such is life.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.