Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:00:09 +1030 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        jrs@enteract.com (John Sconiers)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emulating solaris

John Sconiers wrote:

 > when i run:
 > bash# kldload /modules/svr4.ko
 >
 > My machine reboots.

Oops.

You're using an ELF kernel, I trust (you must, because you got 3.0-current
on Monday).  Check OBJFORMAT in /sys/compile/KERNELNAME/Makefile just to
be sure, though.  I do remember that modules in general used to crash
a.out kernels back in the days when a.out kernels were actually used...

My -current machine is presently awaiting a new disk which should, uh,
"make it more useful" (the disk should be arriving today;  I'll make
time to install it over the weekend).  I hope to be able to help you
out more then.

 > I hand made the directory then did make install
 > because it kept makeing just modules file in the root directory.
 > It then made a svr4.ko within the module directory.
 > This is on 3.0-current from off the net on monday.

The fact that /modules didn't exist already leads me to believe that
perhaps you haven't done a "make world" since you grabbed -current
(since /modules *should* be in the mtree file that make world uses).
I don't expect the emulator to work at all if you haven't done a "make
world" and then built a kernel.  Could it be that you're still running
an old release even though you have -current sources?

Which release did you have before you grabbed -current?

 >  Can someone help or give me a correct module.
 > I followed the diretions and did the patches.

I'll check it out when I get the -current box up and running.

 > I'm trying to get Lotus
 > notes client on Freebsd that was made for sun

Hmm, that could be interesting.  Bear in mind that the emulator is
still in early days, though.

   - mark