Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:33:53 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@haven.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        s223560@studenti.ing.unipi.it, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: struct buf_queue_head still existing in 5.x/6.x ?

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:59:47PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20050705053114.A96381@xorpc.icir.org>, Luigi Rizzo writes:
>
> >Can someone explain why in both 5.x and 6.x, we still have
> >"struct buf_queue_head" defined in sys/buf.h ?
>
> Because things take time :-)

ok thanks. Then i have a few hopefully easy questions.
(background - this is related to the work my SoC student Emiliano,
in Cc,  is doing on the disk scheduler)

The disk scheduler operates on struct bio_queue_head objects
(which include CSCAN scheduler info) and uses 5 methods:

  bioq_init()	   initializes the queue.
  bioq_disksort()  to add requests to the queue
  bioq_first()     to peek at the head of the queue
  bioq_remove()    to remove the first element.
  bioq_flush()     right now simply a wrapper around bioq_first() and
		   bioq_remove(), but one could imagine the need for a
		   specific destructor to free memory etc.

bioq_insert_head() and bioq_insert_tail() do operate on the same
objects; however my impression is that they are used just because
they need a TAILQ of struct bio, and bio_queue_head happened to be
there - in a perfect world they would be methods of a different
class, right ?

	cheers
	luigi