Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:32:32 +1030
From:      Ian West <ian@niw.com.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   expiring cached routes on in_pcb entries.

Hi, I have been looking at the code in ip_ouput in relation to a problem
I have had with named using the wrong route for talking to forwarders
after route changes occur. There is a check for cached routes, and a
check for validity, but not as far as I can see a check for expiry.

The situation is when the box starts it has a default route, named
starts and uses this to talk to try to talk to it's forwarder. (via UDP,
but I don't think it matters). Some time later we get a specific route
for the subnet on which the forwarder resides via a dialup (tun)
interface. While the route tables all update up correctly, and new
connections use the direct route, the named connection continues to send
packets out via the wrong interface until it is restarted.

I am looking at the ip_output routines, but so far cannot see any check
for expiry of cached routes ? Can anyone point me in the right
direction (or confirm they don't expire unless the route is physically
unavailable ?)

Thankyou.