Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:06:51 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        Heiko Schaefer <320048919767-0001@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vcd

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 23:40:08 +0200, Heiko Schaefer wrote:

> now i gathered that sys/cdio.h is where the action is.

Funny thing is that the required ioctl is in <sys/cdrio.h> (note the R).

> what i am really confused about is: is there any way to read raw
> data off a video cd that works on both ide and scsi ?

As I already reported, I changed atapi-cd.c (acd_start) on my system
from:

    ccb[0] = ATAPI_READ_CD;
!   ccb[9] = 0x10;

    ccb[0] = ATAPI_READ_CD;
!   ccb[9] = 0xf8;

Accoring to Table 99, "Number of Bytes Returned Based on Data
Selection Field" on page 147 of ATAPI draft (8020rev26.pdf) - flags
0xf8 will make READ-CD command to return raw 2352 bytes for *all*
track modes.

0x10 means user data only

0xf8 means everything in the sector (sync & all headers & user data &
edc/ecc).

Well, may be 0x10 a logical choice

. it didn't worked for me ;-)

. it doesn't allow raw reads, would people need them (perhaps code
  should check for blocksize == 2352 and use 0xf8 assuming 2352
  implies a raw read?)

With that one line patch to the driver I wrote a simple program that
uses CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE, just as Soren described, and I can grab/view
VCDs happily.

SY, Uwe