Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:04:34 +0000
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Tibor Borzak <cezy_bt@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PArtitions

On Tue 1999-03-09 (01:45), Tibor Borzak wrote:
> A question from a NewBie :
>
> I installed FreeBSD 2.2.8. on my system.
> I had make a mistake at the begining, because my /var partition it
> seems to be too small (around 150 MB). How can I "stollen" some space
> from the other to partition (/usr and /), without damaging the data
> (currently this BSD is the primary DNS and SMTP server !!!)

150 Mb should be big enough for most peoples' /var.

You can't really play with the partition sizes, so you have three choices:

1. Wipe everything and start again.

2. Add a new drive and mount it in the part of /var that is so huge.

3. Use a symbolic link to link /var/foo to /usr/foo, where foo is the
part of /var which is too big.

I'd choose 3, most probably.

"man ln" for more help

Neil