Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:26:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making a RELEASE

In list.freebsd-stable Nora Etukudo <nora@sappho-net.de> wrote:
 > On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:21:24PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > >  > have MY snapshot on a bootable CD, just in case. The price is
 > >  > reasonable - a night of my life :-)
 > >
 > > And what is the advantage over simply making a backup
 > > of your disk?
 >
 > If I have such a CD, I can it auto install on several machines, without
 > further investigation. This is much less time consuming than a cloneing
 > from a backup.

Yes, I know that.

But Plamen Petkov wrote that he just needed a crash recovery
for a single box.  In that case, making a full release and
putting it on CD-R is a complete waste of time, IMO.
You have to make regular backups anyway, except if you don't
care about your data at all (and then you can just re-install
from your latest release CD-ROM and start over from there).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)