Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:05:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        Chris Landauer <cal@rush.aero.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 boot still wants sysinstall - answered

"Donald J . Maddox" wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 07:43:29AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Chris Landauer wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently asked why the sysinstall menu came up when i booted 2.2.8,
> > > and i now see in my kernel configuration file that i enabled
> > >         USERCONFIG_BOOT
> > >
> > > which i presume causes exactly that behavior
> >
> > No. USERCONFIG_BOOT causes the kernel to read /kernel.config at boot
> > time, and execute any commands in there as if you had done ``boot -c''
> > and typed them manually. It even echoes them to the screen the way you
> > would type them in. You could check if there is anything in
> > /kernel.config (I don't know if there is a boot option to start
> > sysinstall).
>
> No, actually, USERCONFIG_BOOT just causes the kernel config editor
> to be entered at boot time, and sources the /kernel.config...  If
> your /kernel.config doesn't end with 'quit' or 'q', or if you don't
> actually have a /kernel.config, you would simply find yourself in
> the config editor at boot,

Ah right. I never actually ran with an empty or missing /kernel.config
or without q(uit) as the last line.

> much like the original poster describes.

The problem he reported is that it goes into sysinstall not the config
editor, unless he's just called it the wrong thing.

Chris. Is it the sysinstall menu, or do you get the ``config>''prompt?