Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 20:35:22 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, John Baxter <jbaxter@mmcable.com>, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: onitoring named

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:34:04PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

		Here's my dime's worth re a crashing named:
		I just finished configuring `thought.org' to
		be  its own server: DNS, mail, web.

		Beginning from knowing virtually 0.0, things
		are working and, having read the first of
		at least 2 DNS/BIND/networking books, I am
		a wee bit more savvy.

		But, when I  was _close_ and when my BIND
		configuration wasn't quite right, named would
		coredump at least once a day.  My first
		suspicion was that some cracker was trying to
		break in..... and my BIND is v 9.1.1.

		I still cannot prove the coredumps were *not*
		due to a cracker; but since things are correct--
		T's crossed, I's dotted, no more core files.

		gary

> >On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:52:58AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >
> >> Today, the most commmon response I see to nameserver problems is
> >> "oh, your nameserver MUST have been hacked".  This is an exciting, sexy
> >> answer that just about anyone can give.
> >
> >Which -- so very inconveniently for your thesis -- happens to be true.
> >

> I'm not sure if your agreeing that this is the most commonly given answer,
> or your stating that most nameserver problems are a result of crack
> attempts.
>
> >> It requires no real understanding of DNS by either the giver or the
> >> receiver.  I guess I'm just getting sick and tired of hearing it
> >> because my own experience is that most likely the problem is that
> >> the DNS server has, in fact, NOT been cracked, and that the problem
> >> is something more subtle.

		[[ ... ]]

--
   Gary D. Kline    kline@thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix