Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:07:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ken Ebling <kebling@us-it.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw/dummynet suggestion

Ken Ebling wrote:

>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable

| I know this isn't performed at the ip level, but I think a useful =
| addition to ipfw would be to allow filtering by mac addresses.  I think =
| a lot of people would find it useful, and a lot of linux users I try and =
| ``convert'' to FreeBSD say they require this feature too.

Local or remote MAC addresses?

The remote MAC address is always going to be a peer on the local
wire; usually, this is your router.

The local MAC address is a 1:N correspondance with IP addresses,
so you can always do whatever you were planning on doing there
using the local IP addresses that are associated with the MAC
in question.

What is it you are trying to do that is apparently not very
obvious?

-- Terry