Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 00:41:24 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl? (Was: cvs commit: src/share/doc/handbook ...)

According to Greg Lehey:
> Sure.  And C will be faster than perl.

In execution speed generally yes. The development time depends on your
knowledge of each one as usual :-)

> My real problem with perl is that it doesn't seem to offer enough to
> get to know well.  And maybe I should choose tcl?  Or guile?  Or YACL?

What do you want ? That's the real question. Perl is not a language for
everything as no language is. Perl is great for many things, from text
processing, fast prototyping, and many others (like News and Mail, my
latest scripts were in these areas).

It can manage big and complex amounts of data easily and efficiently. When
the language itself is not enough, there will be a module already done to
help.

> What do I do when the particular operation I want to do takes too
> long?

Rewrite it in C as a dynamic module,

> Where's the C language interface?

The C language interface is in perlxs or you can put Perl into C,

> Where's the debugger?

The debugger is "-d".

> Real Programmers code in hex.  Fortran programmers are wimps who don't
> understand computers :-)

cat >a.out ought to be enough. :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #28: Sun Nov 10 13:37:41 MET 1996