Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 22:13:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        BitS <bits@oldwarez.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile under NetBSD

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, BitS wrote:

> Ok, I have a Multia, the lowend 166 axpci133 board, the generic kernel
> from ~dfr lockes directly after loading, I'm using the NetBSD boot loader
> to get that far.  It loads like so:

The Multia support is not currently functional as I have no hardware to
test it on.  I am going to try to get hold of a Multia this week so
hopefully the situation will improve.

> So... since that isn't working, I'm attempting to compile the kernel under
> NetBSD, however, make dies with this error:
>
> cc -c -x assembler-with-cpp -DLOCORE -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../..
> -I../../../include  -DKERNEL -include opt_global.h -U__NetBSD__
> ../../alpha/alpha/locore.s
> ../../alpha/alpha/locore.s: Assembler messages:
> ../../alpha/alpha/locore.s:84: Error: syntax error
> ../../alpha/alpha/locore.s:85: Error: Rest of line ignored. First ignored
> character is `1'.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>

> For reference, I have 32megs of ram, a seagate 2gig scsi drive, and the
> SRM version info is:
>
> Multia SRM Console  BL5 V3.8-3, built on Aug 10 1995 at 3:22:55
>
> if anyone has any ideas, I'm more the willing to listen

That is very strange.  Line 84 of locore.s doesn't do anything special.
You might have better luck building kernels under NetBSD if you make the
FreeBSD make first (just use the Makefile.dist in src/usr.bin/make to
build it) and make sure you point it at the FreeBSD make files with -m
/whereever/share/mk.  Also add 'options __FreeBSD__=3' to your kernel
config since some of the drivers depend on the correct definition of
__FreeBSD__.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039