Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:58:32 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange top output

--------------enigD1EAE3A11987E836AF0EBEAF

Johan Hendriks wrote:

> now i have installed 7.0rc1 amd64 version on a quad core xeon and updat=
ed yesterday my src and did a buildworld cycle
> On this machine i am running the same jails 1 for proxy and one for the=
 mailscanning.
> but if i do i top here i see much higher values of size used

> this is my first amd64 install, the 6.2 is a i386 install

There are two reasons for the behaviour you noticed:

a) 64-bit software takes more memory than 32-bit, by definition=20
(pointers are twice the size, etc.)
b) The memory allocator (malloc) was completely changed in 7.0, and it=20
requests more memory from the kernel than the one used before (don't=20
worry: the amount of memory actually _used_ has nothing to do with how=20
much virtual memory is allocated).

In your case, these two factors have increased memory usage from 82 MB=20
to 110 MB, and allocation from 92 MB to 141 MB. There's nothing bad=20
here, if you have enough memory.