Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:24:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, sobomax@freebsd.org, mharo@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: freetype2-2.1.2

In article <200210012049.g91KnokX058308@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>,
Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com> writes:

>> > Make went fine, then I did make install and this is what happened.

>> > ; do                               \
>> >           install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 $P
>> > /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype ; \
>> >         done
>> > "Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
>> > "Makefile", line 28: Need an operator
>> > "./builds/toplevel.mk", line 46: Need an operator
>> > "./builds/toplevel.mk", line 48: Need an operator
>> > "./builds/toplevel.mk", line 59: Missing dependency operator
>> > "./builds/toplevel.mk", line 61: Need an operator

> I have debugged this situation without creating a full patch.

> When dot is before /usr/bin on PATH then you see the above behavior.
> The reason is that a shell script called install exists in the
> top-level of the working tree.

OK, another point about this situation debugged.  Of course, I'm not
dumb enough to have dot on root's PATH.  (I'm only dumb enough to have
had it on user PATH. ;-)

When I su to root, I explicitly rebuild my PATH to remove dot.
However, last week, I started using portupgrade instead of manually
maintaining installed ports.  As a normal user, I now use:
portupgrade -s [...]

When I sudo to root, I still see dot on PATH if it was on user PATH.
Humm, this sudo was built from ports and I see that it was suppose to:
--with-ignore-dot

However, that option only appears to control how sudo itself will find
targets without influencing the child:

S rittle@latour; cat a b
#!/bin/sh
echo hello
#!/bin/sh
S rittle@latour; sudo a
sudo: ignoring `a' found in '.'
Use `sudo ./a' if this is the `a' you wish to run.
S rittle@latour; sudo b
sudo: ignoring `b' found in '.'
Use `sudo ./b' if this is the `b' you wish to run.
S rittle@latour; sudo ./b
hello

Regards,
Loren