Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2019 18:15:00 -0400
From:      John Johnstone <jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd@tridentusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem burning DVD

On 6/22/19 11:45 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:09:20 -0400 (EDT), Chris Hill wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019, Polytropon wrote:
>>
>> [ big snip ]
>>
>>> Is there some description of what error codes like "Error 22", "0x16"
>>> or "SK=4h/ASC=03h/ACQ=00h" mean?
>>               ^^^^^^^
>> The first thing that popped into my head was that 03h (alias 0x03) is
>> the ASCii character ETX, meaning of course 'end of text.' Could there be
>> some issue with the file you're writing from?
>
> Interesting find! Yes, I remember the ASCII table's control
> codes, and "ASC" could mean exactly that, "ASCII Code"; maybe
> ACQ is "ASCII Queue"? And SK? No idea. I'd be interested if
> there is a reference list somewhere that would explain the
> codes and the values.

These are SCSI protocol terms.

SK - Sense Key
ASC - Additional Sense Code
ACQ or ASCQ is Additional Sense Code Qualifier

SK=4h/ASC=03h/ACQ=00h is fairly generic.

4 03 00 - Hardware Error - write fault

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Code_Qualifier
http://www.t10.org/lists/asc-num.htm

Manufacturers also add their own proprietary codes to this list.

-
John J.