Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:35:07 -0800
From:      Jon Drukman <jsd@gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound card doesn't work with PnP BIOS enabled

I have a Yamaha SAx-OPL3 sound card that functions fine with the pcm
driver, but only if I disable the PnP BIOS setting in the BIOS before
booting.  And of course, if I want to use the sound card under Windows,
I have to *enable* PnP BIOS before booting. Is there a way to make
FreeBSD happy when the PnP BIOS is enabled?

here's what dmesg says when PnP is on (and the soundcard doesn't work):

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0020 [0x2000a865] Serial 0xffffffff
This is a Yamaha SA2, but LDN 0 is disabled
CSN 2 Vendor ID: TCM5098 [0x98506d50] Serial 0x083acd2c

here's the relevant bit from my kernel config file:

controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

--
Jon Drukman                                            jsd@gamespot.com