Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 23:40:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Glynn Stanton <glynn@nol.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Glynn Stanton <glynn@nol.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug?

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Glynn Stanton wrote:
> >
> > The Root partition is on a 320M disk, With bin, doc, dict and X.
> >
> > The problem comes when I use mount_msdos to mount a 1G partition
> > of my 2.5Gb Quantum Bigfoot.
>
> OK, this is what probably killed you.  You may have gotten a
> warning: root cluster is not a multiple of clustersize in length
>
> or something like that.  You should have IMMEDIATELY dismounted your msdos
> partition and hope nothing broke.

Ok, yes, I did.. as it said "Warning".. Im used to that meaning something
so be aware of, but not fatal.

> Yes, your root filesystem may have been damaged.  You should be able to
> fsck the filesystem from the fixit system and get the partition fixed.

As it was a new install, I went for the reformat option.. then when it
happened again, I was more concerned with why it happened, as I was
really beginning to see performance benefits of FreeBSD over Linux.

> This is a known bug and *may* have been fixed in 2.2.  But for the time
> being, do NOT mount dos filesystems with 16k clusters, which is ones
> greater than about 500mb (?).

Thank you *very* much for the help and info.

Much appreciated.
Glynn Stanton.