Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:32:37 -0800
From:      you@aredumb.com (Will Yardley)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with FreeBSD telnet client

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 06:16:50PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:
[ Sorry for the lack of proper references / in-reply-to headers; I'm not
subbed to the list, and I didn't get sent a copy ]

> > When I telnet to a Cisco device from a FreeBSD machine, I get this
> > error:
> >
> > jazz% telnet somerouterorswitch
> > Password: Kerberos:     No default realm defined for Kerberos!
> >
> > Assuming you don't use Kerberos, is there a way to make the telnet
> > client not attempt to use it to authenticate?

> Sure, two possible solutions:
>
> * Set up your Cisco devices to use Kerberos
>
> * Check out the -K option in the telnet man page

Any other possibilities? I guess I could alias telnet to "telnet -K",
but then it won't automatically use my username if I telnet to another
machine.

I took a quick look through the telnet source, but didn't see any
obvious options to simply build it without kerberos support.