Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:28:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@MLINK.NET>
To:        FreeBSD-ADVOCACY <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Company offering FreeBSD on custom built servers.

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[...]

: What I find most "interesting" is the fact that their choice-box
: for "OS" says:
:
: "For optimum reliability, Rackspace reccommends RedHat Linux 5.2 as
: your operating system."

This would be disinformation that happens to be floating about everywhere
now that RedHat has gone commercial..

: What's *that* all about?  What horror stories did they get for FreeBSD
: 3.2 that led to such a conclusion, and were any verified and/or
: experienced by this particular vendor.  And if there weren't horror
: stories, then what else might be the motivation behind a statement
: like that?

I doubt any horror stories have been heard, I honest have never heard
anyone dissatisfied with FreeBSD's performance if they've ever used
it. The motivation would seem to be money, RedHat is commercial, and
has commercial appeal due to it's support for more commercial applications
then most UNIX based O/S with the possible exception of Solaris.

: All interesting questions...  In any case, not exactly a URL I'll be
: using for advocacy purposes until I find out. :)

I agree totally.

: - Jordan

--
// Matt Heckaman: matt@mlink.net -OR- admin@arpa-canada.net //