Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:18:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM under 4.x STABLE ?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response!  I have the card installed, but it seems to
> be complaining about broken DMA.  This is on an Intel 810e motherboard.  I
> ran the DOS diag util and according to it, all tests including the DMA
> tests passed.
>
> en0: <Efficient Networks ENI-155p> mem 0xfe000000-0xfe3fffff irq 11 at
> device 8.0 on pci1
> en0: unexpected timeout in rx DMA test
> en0: WARNING: DMA test detects a broken PCI chipset!
>       trying to work around the problem...  but if this doesn't
>       work for you, you'd better switch to a newer motherboard.

Ouch!  Looking at /usr/src/sys/dev/en/midway.c I see some very interesting
notes about broken DMA in the Efficient card (but not Adaptec).  The
driver is supposed to work around that, though.  Your DMA message above
seems to refer to the chipset not being able to handle "misaligned 64
byte DMA", which might not be a major problem, but just might reduce
the performance.

Of course, the real authority is Chuck Cranor himself...

-Richard