Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:25:23 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathan Weiss <tomonage2@gmx.de>
Subject:   Re: AW: alternative options for ports

El Jueves, 14 de Octubre de 2004 13:47, Jonathan Weiss escribi=F3:
> > El Jueves, 14 de Octubre de 2004 13:20, Jose M Rodriguez escribi=F3:
> >> El Jueves, 14 de Octubre de 2004 11:53, Sergei Kolobov escribi=F3:
> >
> > [ ... ]

> >> It not so esay.  OpenBSD port system is binary oriented (And I
> >> think NetBSD pkgsrc also).  Even installing from ports, they make
> >> first de package and then install.
> >
> > It must say:
> >
> > It's not so easy.  OpenBSD ports system is binary oriented (like
> > rpm and NetBSD pkgsrc, I think).  Even installing from ports, they
> > make first a package and then install from that.
>
> BTW, I like this approach much more!
> Make a package out of the port and then install it, it is much more
> meaningful .
>
> Also the 'make package' target in OpenBSD does not install the
> package as in FreeBSD, also more meaningful .
>
> Greets,
> Jonathan

I can't even imagine this.  We have more than 11.000 ports now.  You may=20
use NetBSD pkgsrc or openpkg (rpm) if you like.  They work on FreeBSD.

Also, the actual ports system permit you affront some things that you=20
can't take with a binary system.

=2D-
  josemi