Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:04:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jdl@chrome.onramp.net
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

> >Does it make sense to attempt to collect people's /etc/disktab entries
> >and make them more available in the (next) released /etc/disktab?
>
> No.  You would need a hundred entries for each of a few hundred disks
> to get a reasonable coverage.

No; it would be best to have calculated defaults with minimum values
for partitions built into the disklabel program instead.

The options of:

1)	Device considered a single slice
2)	Device considered multiple slices (has label) and exports
	slices as multiple pseudo type #1 devices.
3)	Device considered as boot device with multiple slices (has
	label and boot code) and exports slices as multiple pseudo
	type #1 devices.
4)	Device considered as DOS partitioned device.  Eaxp DOS
	partition or extended partition exported as #1, #2, or #3,
	above (has DOS parititon table and boot sector -- PReP and
	OpenFirmware's so-called "DOS compatability area").

Should all be built into the tools and detectable via the drive
contents themselves rather than needing a /etc/disktab.

This would require coding defaults for slice vs. label vs. boot+label
base on device name/attributes (what was the major # prior to devfs).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.