Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:00:21 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Doing an install with the aac driver

From: "Mike Smith" <msmith@freebsd.org>

> Er, I thought that scottl merged it back.  He must have forgotten to
> update GENERIC.  Use a -current install floppy set then. 8)

He should also merge in some changes to MAKEDEV so devices can be built, but
that's another story.  Last I looked MAKEDEV didn't support the aacd
devices, except in CURRENT.

I did get a 4.2-RELEASE install going on it, but things got kind of weird. I
did the install with a 5.0-snap install floppies and a 4.2-RELEASE CD.
Install went OK, and I was able to get it running with a 4.2-STABLE kernel
(built elsewhere) with the aac driver.

I rebuilt world and I noticed that periodically during the installworld that
the process would just kind of stop -- switching vtys to a vmstat screen
would show the disk drive @ 100%.  Then it would take off again like
everything was normal.

After buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel and installworld I rebooted.
During the reboot process the kernel "gave up" on 7 buffers, and on reboot
my / is dirty, except I get nothing but "command timed out..", even after
power cycling the host (HP LC2000, Dual 866 CPUs, 1GB RAM) and the array
cabinet (HP Rackstorage 12 w/6 disks).

Any ideas?

Did I oops by running a 4.2-STABLE kernel with 4.2-RELEASE binaries and
libs?