Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:52:29 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Oleg Bulyzhin <oleg@rinet.ru>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re driver trobles (RELENG_5)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> experimenting with new amd64-based router we found strange re(4) behaviour
> when working in autoselect media mode:
>
> whenever promisc mode turned on, renegotiating occurs, leading to 3 to 45
> (depending on STP settings on the switch) network unavailability.
>
> Moreover, some other re(4) setting changes seem to disturb link state
> unneededly (such as ifconfig re0 -vlanhwtag)
>
> The most annoying fact is that we non-autonegotiating mode with our re and
> D-Link gigabit switches: fixing media at 1000BaseTX leads to link down
> regardless of master/slave settings on both sides; on re side it is even
> undocumented.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
> *** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***

Further investigation revealed even more weirdness of re driver:

If re card plugged into switch (tested with Catalyst 2948G) with fixed port
speed/duplex (100/full) settings, and we trying to reboot - re driver fails to
attach:

re0: <RealTek 8169S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd000-0xd0ff mem 0xcfffbf00-0xcfffbfff irq 16 at device 11.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on re0
rgephy0: <RTL8169S/8110S media interface> on miibus0
rgephy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
re0: bpf attached
re0: Ethernet address: 00:11:09:cd:15:77
re0: diagnostic failed, failed to receive packet in loopback mode
re0: attach aborted due to hardware diag failure
rgephy0: detached
miibus0: detached
device_attach: re0 attach returned 5

If switch port configured for 'auto' mode we can reboot without problems.

--
Oleg.

=== Oleg Bulyzhin -- OBUL-RIPN -- OBUL-RIPE -- oleg@rinet.ru ===