Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:32:50 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Code Red

Christopher Farley wrote:

> Bill Moran (wmoran@iowna.com) wrote:
>
> > The interesting thing (to me) is that Microsoft's propoganda engine is so
> > powerful that they can keep such a problem from hurting their image! I mean,
> > I've pretty much given up on Microsoft products, mainly because of these
> > continual security problems. Why haven't others done the same?
>
> All operating systems have continual security problems. It's up to the
> system administrator to keep up to date and patch their machines. A
> competent MS sysadmin would have patched the IIS boxes when the patch
> was released, about two months before code red.

True. MS is definately not 100% to blame here. Any sysadmin who let his
system get cracked should be smacked.
However, it does seem that MS systems have serious holes more often. It
may just be that the problems are more pulicised, and MS is more common,
so the damage is worse, but that's another valid complaint against the
"1 operating system for everyone" Microsoft approach.

> The main difference between Unix and Microsoft, IMO, is that many
> Microsoft users do not administer their systems in any way.

Agreed 100%.

> I've pretty much give up on Microsoft products, too. But for me it's
> strictly a cost/benefit decision.

That's another factor.

-Bill

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"