Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:59:43 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr
Subject:   Re: Panic with the new slice stuff

> It should be fixed in the current vfs_conf.c, except for the bogus device
> name in the "changing" message.  This is not easy to fix, since it is
> not known until later that slice == 5 (sd0s4, not sd0s5) passed by the
> boot blocks really means slice == 0, (sd0, not sd0s-1).

Yeah.  Any suggestions on this would be gratefully appreciated.  I'm
leaning towards masking the slice number in the device comparison when
it decides whether to emit the message.

Test results today showed up a number of interesting things:

 - disklabel -rwB ... auto on a virgin disk will not set the disk type
   correctly.  This confuses the bootstrap if the disk in question is a
   SCSI disk, as it defaults to IDE, causing the root mount to fail.
 - if you supply 'sd' instead of 'wd' at the prompt, the bootstrap will
   ignore you and go with what it gets from the disklabel.

(bootstrap from -stable in both cases)