Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 01:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Carroll Kong <me@carrollkong.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:  3Ware Error Messages

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Carroll Kong wrote:

> 	Oh boy, I cannot believe I did not realize this, but the array has been degraded the whole time!  Since I am not running STABLE, I do not have ata-control.  Is there a way I can find out which drive is bad short
> of power cycling and taking a look at it?  Do those error messages tell me which drive is down?  Surprisingly, the performance has been quite excellent for a "degraded" system.  I wonder if it is just a dodgy
> interconnect to the IDE backplane.  (Pretty sure we ran into that issue when we were testing here before deploying it.  Yes, it is as a colocation facility so I cannot just out right look at it easily.  )  Is there a way to nab
> the status of it short of power cycling it?
> 	Maybe I should cvsup to get ata-control...

I'm pretty sure that ata-control won't tell you any useful information
about the 3ware cards at all.  The ide backplane of the 3ware card is
completely hidden behind the firmware of the card.  The card only presents
a SCSI-like interface to the main driver.

What you really want is the FreeBSD version of the 3ware management
daemon.  It's called 3dmd (3dm).  It can be enabled and disabled without
rebooting the machine.  Once configured, you can the point a web browser
at the machine and get a full status report on the card.

There is lots of good stuff about the 3ware RAID (including 3dm) at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/

-a