Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:13:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG (Torsten Blum)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Command Linking

Hi,

I started writing a firmware-upgrade utility for the Tandberg MLR1 and MLR3
drives when I saw that Tandberg made their Programmers Manual to the public
(http://www.tdata.no/support/doc_manuals.html).

Well, I can read the firmware from the drive and write it to a file. The
problem starts when I start to write the new firmware. Due to the physio
problem I have to upload the firmware in 64k parts with the WRITE BUFFER
command. After each WRITE BUFFER the drive sends a MSG_LINK_CMD_COMPLETE
(0x0a) and the scsi system can't handle it:

ahc1:A:5: Warning - unknown message received from target (0xa).  SEQ_FLAGS == 0xd2.  Rejecting
Unexpected busfree.  LASTPHASE == 0xa0
SEQADDR == 0x99

Tandberg's SCSI Interface Specifications for the MLR1 contains the following

 3.2.1.4 Command Linking
   Normally the Drive goes to the BUS FREE phase after a successful command
   completion. The Drive transfers the GOOD status byte and the COMMAND
   COMPLETED messages before entering the BUS FREE phase.

   If the initiator wants the Drive to go directly to a new COMMAND phase
   after successful command completion, the initiator has to link the commands.
   The Drive than transfers an INTERMEDIATE status byte followed by a LINKED
   COMMAND COMPLETE (or LINKED COMMAND COMPLETE W/FLAG) message byte before
   entering the COMMAND phase. The Drive expects immediately the transfer of
   a new command.
[...]

Just adding "cmp     A,MSG_LINK_CMD_COMPLETE je mesgin_done;" to p_mesgin:
in aic7xxx.seq doesnt help because (according to the Tandberg SCSI Cmd Specs)
the command phase sequencing needs to me modified.

Any help is appreciated

 -tb