Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:03:18 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFCing SMP cleanups from -current into 4.x on wednesday

* Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> [000423 11:57] wrote:
>     I intend to MFC the preliminary SMP cleanups I did in current a few
>     weeks ago back into 4.x. My current plan is to do this on wednesday.
>     I do not expect there to be any complains since the SMP cleanups appear
>     to have been working wonderfully in -current for some time now but
>     if people have problems with it I can delay the MFC while we discuss
>     it.
>
>     I also intend to MFC the changes to the write-behind heuristic on
>     wednesday (search for 'Change the write-behind' in the below -current
>     commits for a reference).  Since this is a relatively simple patch which
>     solves a degenerate write-stall case in -current as well as fixes one
>     of those silly contrived benchmarks, I do not expect there to be any
>     complaints.
>
>     My intention is to try to keep the 4.x and 5.x trees synchronized as
>     much as makes sense in regards to my own core work so people doing
>     add-on work can also MFC as much of it as makes sense.  It should be
>     reasonable to do this while we are in the early stages of the release
>     cycle.

I would like to see this happen and I agree with keeping 4.0 and
5.0 as close as possible.  Please don't forget that the SMP deltas
had some serious problems, they broke UP kernels (afaik) and you'll
need to MFC my makesyscalls.sh hack (the delta directly edited
generated files).  Because of that they need a couple of days of being
available so people can test (I will) before being applied to
RELENG_4.

I think the change in write behind algorithms should be pushed into
RELENG_4 asap, they are stable and if we get negative feedback from
the larger userbase they can be re-examined now instead of us
scratching our heads a year down the road when we have RELENG_5 and
performance problems crop up.

-Alfred