Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:23:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Aughey <jha>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Powering down disks

I'm wanting to use my laptop in a mobile environment where I will
want to power down the disks to prevent disk damage.  I'm not
concerned with daemons writing to the disk periodically because I
plan to boot using a memory file system and transfer information
from the hard disk once at bootup time and then unmount and power
down the disks.

How can I power down my disks when they are not in use?  This will
be a disk that is not mounted anywhere, so there will not be any
problems with syncing file systems and other problems commonly
encountered with demand devices.

Thank you
John Aughey