Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:39:47 +1100
From:      Brett Harris <bsdbrett@optushome.com.au>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        mwm-dated-1044121467.43bfa2@mired.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which files and directories to backup?

Hi,

The best way that I've found to back my machine's configs up, is to create a directory such as /etc/config , *move* all my important configuration files to it (firewall, syslogd, rc.conf etc - basically anything i'd want to keep for a new machine), and then symlink them to their proper locations.

That way, if it comes time for a backup, all you do is tar and zip that one /etc/config directory, and move it somewhere safe. No need to remember every single configuration file that you've ever modified, and you also don't risk messing the system up by extracting the entire /etc directory over a fresh install.

Because its so simple too, you're more likely to do more regular backups :)

Hope that helps, it's saved my ass many times.

regards

Brett Harris
bmh.youth-it.com