Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:11:41 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome installation

I've gotten a number of requests for this, so I'll just send it to the
(wrong, mea culpa) list, so it can live in the archives for future reference.

How to install Gnome on FreeBSD from CVS:

First, make sure you have autoconf 2.13, automake 1.4, gmake (GNU make)
3.76.1, and gettext 0.10.35 installed (or later versions if available).
Then install the Imlib prerequisite libraries (libjpeg, libpng, libtiff,
and libgif) if they aren't already installed on your system (check
http://www.labs.redhat.com/imlib for more info).

Prepare a directory for gnome sources (e.g. /usr/src/local/gnome).  Change
to that directory, and run this command:

   % cvs -z 3 -d ':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome' co \
   glib imlib gtk+ ORBit gnome-libs gnome-core

That will get you the basic Gnome stuff.  I recommend browsing through
http://cvs.gnome.org to find what other goodies you might want to get by
the same method (I personally consider gnome-python indispensible, but that's
just because I'm a Python bigot; the Enlightenment window manager is nice,
too).

Once you have the distributions installed, you update them with the command:

   % cvs -z 3 update -P -d glib imlib gtk+ ORBit gnome-libs gnome-core

(In actual practice, I only update, compile and install one distribution at
a time, though.)

To build the distributions, you want something like this:

  % foreach dist (glib imlib gtk+ ORBit gnome-libs gnome-core)
  > (cd $dist; ./autogen.sh; gmake; gmake install)
  > end

But you want to do it manually, because there's often little glitches (it is
an active development tree, after all).  The order is important, because
each distribution depends on the ones before it.

Also, many of the distributions have little test programs (but unfortunately
in no standard presentation).  I always check that those run ok before I
run the "make install".  If I get something that doesn't compile, or doesn't
pass the tests, I just wait a day or two, update the distribution and try
again.  The Gnome tree is unbroken most of the time.

	-Michael Robinson