Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2014 12:48:55 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        PaX Team <pageexec@freemail.hu>, FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: PIE/PIC support on base
References:  <CAMe1fxaBEc5T77xjpRsMi_kkc5LXwPGooLWTO9C1FJcLSPnO8w@mail.gmail.com> <CAGSa5y2=bKpaeLO_S5W%2B1YGq02WMgCZn_5bbEMw%2Bx3j-MYDOoA@mail.gmail.com> <CADt0fhzg5G1cLEBNfHXSEi9iP7mCP=8sSwpXbFobig=pm=QsFQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAGSa5y1LBxkUNSgKkw=F9_uykXDeBV7_WL0a7Wt%2B%2BGgMTSULEQ@mail.gmail.com> <CADt0fhweiymn2D09%2Be7f44AreWe%2B8cmAtDVeec0NfmuWuOOhbg@mail.gmail.com> <315B4DC5-0E04-4F6B-BBB0-477D049025BF@bsdimp.com> <CADt0fhyCBa3PTnZ3dpc-hpysyC9V0MXR16s-e10V0ioAfaWHuw@mail.gmail.com> <C7C48B02-E65C-4F90-A503-1FDDCB590B7D@bsdimp.com> <20141105090215.GF10388@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net> <20141105092614.GB53947@kib.kiev.ua>

--wj9ZLJVQDRFjGSdK

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 11:26:14AM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 10:02:15AM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 08:05:57AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > > [[cc trimmed ]]
> > >=20
> > > On Oct 17, 2014, at 7:46 AM, Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >=20

 Look

TLD has to

PIE) and
ou suggesting we create an ENABLE_feature framework? Or are you suggesting =
we have a USE_PIE flag? Or are you suggesting something different entirely =
(and if you are, what?)?
> > >=20
> > > I???m saying we don???t have a good framework at the moment to do thi=
s. We
> > > have several bad ones that all have their pitfalls. This is one reaso=
n I had
> > > the fast reaction to NO_PIE, then a minute later said ???go ahead and=
 use
> > > it and I???ll fix it.??? I???m still cool with that position, btw.
> > >=20
> > > As for a name, that can be debated a  lot, but I???d like to see some=
thing
> > > new, easy to use and unambiguous. If you are looking for a suggestion
> > > for that name, let???s go with WANTS_PIE. Only Makefiles can set it.
> > >=20
> > > WANTS_PIE undefined means do the default behavior as defined by the
> > > current MK_PIE setting and perhaps system policy. ???Go with this flo=
w."
> > >=20
> > > WANTS_PIE=3Dyes means that if MK_PIE is ???yes???, then do PIE things=
 for
> > > this thing we???re building. If MK_PIE is ???no???, though PIE is dis=
abled for
> > > everything.
> > >=20
> > > WANTS_PIE=3Dno means that if MK_PIE is ???yes???, then disable doing =
PIE
> > > things for this component. If MK_PIE is no, it is also disabled.
> > >=20
> > > This could also be extended to NEEDS_foo, which says ???I need foo to
> > > build, and if MK_foo is set to no, don???t build me.??? I don???t thi=
nk anything
> > > that you are doing falls into this category though.
> > >=20
> > > WANTS/NEEDS also avoids the historical use of USE in the ports tree
> > > possibly creating confusion.=20
> > >=20
> > > If you go with WANTS_PIE, then you wouldn???t need bad.*.pie.mk.
> > >=20
> > > Comments?
> > >=20
> > > Warner
> >=20
> > On amd64 WANTS_PIE will be useless as we can easily activate PIE on eve=
ry places
> > For i386 we would propably prefer cherry picking the what we want to se=
e built
> > with PIE. Don't know for other arches.
> >=20
> > So here is what I do propose:
> > if MK_PIE=3Dno: no PIE at all
> > if MK_PIE=3Dyes:
> > - on amd64/(platforms without performance penalty): build everything wi=
th PIE
> >   from libs to prog
> See below.
>=20
> > - on i386/(platforms with performance penalty): build with PIE if WANTS=
_PIE
> >   is defined.
> >=20
> > So the difference with the previous approach are:
> > - No way to opt out PIE for a single binary either totally disable or e=
nable (I
> >   have encountered no binary so far in the base system which fails with=
 PIE
> >   enabled - again only tested on amd64)
> > - Activate PIE for both binaries and libraries (no reason not to include
> >   libraries)
> What does it mean 'PIE for library' ? There is simply no such thing.

Sorry I badly explained, I was meaning PIC for libs PIE for binaries.
>=20
> Also, I strongly oppose compiling everything with PIC, even on amd64.
> I described somewhere else that using PIC code changes symbol lookup
> rules for binaries.  So despite not having performance impact, the
> thing does impact runtime behaviour in subtle ways.  The most affected
> programs are those which support dynamic modules.
>=20
> Also, what is the state of static binaries + PIE ? Do our binutils
> support this at all ? The csu is definitely not ready for 'everything
> PIE'.

Only dynamic binaries will receive PIE support (and in case of using an
INTERNALLIB will link to the libbla_pic.a) static ones will remain non PIE.

regards,
Bapt

--wj9ZLJVQDRFjGSdK

--wj9ZLJVQDRFjGSdK--