Date:      Sat, 04 Feb 1995 16:32:04 +0000
From:      Ed Hudson <elh@p5.spnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        elh@spnet.com
Subject:   950202-SNAP, cpio, laptop, cirrus pcmcia

 howdy.

	i think that 950202-SNAP is great.  congrats to all.
	it is wonderful to have a free, real operating system who's
	quality exceeds commercial offerings in allmost all respects.
	FreeBSD is an excellent operating system.  you all have
	a lot to be proud of.

	the SNAP install went perfectly onto a 486/aha/maxtor system.

	however, i had the same difficulty another poster
	mentioned with respect to the nfs read/write block sizes
	installing on my laptop, and a few otherones as well.

 specific problems i had with the install (laptop):

	the laptop contains the (a?) cirrus logic pcmcia chip set.

 --->>>	in order for my national pcmcia ethernet 10b2 card to be
	recognized and work properly, i had to preinstall into
	the kernel if_ze patch posted by hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	after the 2.0-R release (fortunately, i had the 486/aha/maxtor
	system to kernel compile on...).  this patch doesn't seem
	to have made it into the subsequent SNAP's.

	needing a special kernel created another problem (for me) in
	modifying the install sequence.  the new cpio floppy contains a
	kernel, which overwrites the kernel loaded from the boot floppy.
	so replacing the kernel in just the boot floppy was inadequate.
	in my case, the generic boot floppy locks up my laptop (it does
	better if i disable everything but a minimum system).

 --->>>	perhaps sysinstall could just rename the boot disk kernel,
	before loading the cpio floppy?  this would make life a little
	simpler for me, at least.

	thanks again.

			-elh

			elh@spnet.com