Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:19:03 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ST-506, ESDI and BAD144 ?

In message <19991125130920.10078@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>, Greg Lehey writes:
>On Wednesday, 24 November 1999 at 10:39:44 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> So I would like to propose that we discontinue support for ST-506,
>> ESDI disks and BAD144 bad-sector remapping starting with the 4.0
>> release.
>>
>> So, is anyone running -current on ESDI or ST-506 disks in
>> actual applications (as opposed for the gadget/novelty thrill or
>> testing purposes) ?
>
>I don't suppose it would be that big a deal to remove the old driver,
>but what speaks against leaving it in the tree along with a comment in
>the GENERIC config file saying "if you use antediluvial disk hardware,
>you may prefer to use an old driver too"?

Well, couldn't we just as well say "if you use pre-cambrian disks
please stick with the 3.X release branch" ?

There are many indicies which support killing the wd.c driver:

	New hardware is supported (much) better by ata driver

	The ATAPI stuff in wd.c is a rather crude hack, ata
	driver handles it better.

	Wd.c is the only driver which keeps the BAD144 code alive
	in our tree, and nobody uses it.  Modern drives do their
	own bad sector handling.

	The kind of hardware it supports which the ata doesn't is
	usually found in machines with less than 32Mbyte of RAM
	anyway, running 4.0 on such a machine is not even close to
	fun.  (And modern motherboards/bioses seem to have lost
	the ability to handle old disks, at least the ones I tried
	here in my lab.)

	There is a long time until 5.0 which is our next chance.

so, speak now, or forever bite your tongue...

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!