Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 15:57:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorry, found it explained during jadetex installation

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:

>On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 01:09:10PM -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >What about patching the file automatically ?
>> >Extract the value in question, compare it, adjust to
>> >suggested value, if the original value is smaller than the
>> >suggested one ...
>>
>> Not a good idea. If someone has increased TeX's capacity beyond what
>> jadetex needs, they could end up ambushed -- or at least "untuned".
>
>You didn't read my message precisely ;-)
>I talked about extracting the current settings
>and upgrading only, when current settings are lower.
>Or the other way around, if user already pushed settings to
>a higher value as needed by jadetex, then leave values as they
>are.

I did read it.

Are you suggesting a script capable of dealing with the relationship
between, for example, main_memory.context, main_memory and extra_mem_*
and balancing all the options and various pools to be sure it all fits
in 8MB? And also, make the correct trade-off if it doesn't? How many
of my format files do you propose be rebuild? How can you know if my
format files have been modified? If you can do that in a simple perl
script without clobbering people who use TeX for things other than the
doc project, go for it. I'd like to see the script. Tuning TeX has
always been a pain in the butt.

Your suggestion seems like a mexican standoff. On one hand you're
proposing to modify configurations automatically because some people
don't read the screens. On the other, people who don't expect that
behavior may not read the screens either -- so about all you
accomplish is pissing off a different group of people. Maybe this is
acceptable.

Nik, if you attempt this, will there be a heads-up notice?

-- Jay