Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:18:43 +0000
From:      Keith Jones <keithj@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Janko van Roosmalen <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>, FBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2-STABLE build fails

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:04:55PM +0100, Janko van Roosmalen wrote:

> > I've seen much of this discussed here but mine seems to break at this
> > point:
> >
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/share/doc/usd/13.viref/troff.core
> >
> > ..and with this msg on the console...
> >
> > Jan  3 18:54:07 alouette /kernel: pid 54505 (troff), uid 0: exited on
> > signal 11 (core dumped)
> > Jan  3 18:54:07 alouette /kernel: pid 54523 (troff), uid 0: exited on
> > signal 11 (core dumped)
> >

> > Even a fresh cvsup (after rm-ing all my srcs and usr/obj) does not help.
> > Any pointer what this 13.viref thing is and how I can sort that out will
> > be highly appreciated.
>
> The FreeBSD faq mentions that signal 11 points to hardware problems.

Could people please STOP spreading this myth that all Signal 11's during
'make world' are a result of hardware problems. It is highly misleading. How
would you feel if you acted on this advice and shelled out your hard-earned
cash for new hardware only to find that it was a software problem after all?

The chances are that if a signal occurs as the result of running a particular
program (in this case 'troff'), it's likely to be the version of that program
or a shared library on which it depends that is broken somehow on the user's
machine, not the user's hardware.

You could try manually recompiling and installing 'troff' et al. (located
in the directory /usr/src/contrib/groff) then rerunning 'make world'.
--
Keith Jones
E-Business Service Introduction, GBIT-EMEA (Bristol)

I don't speak for Hewlett-Packard.