I fix this? > > Hi Steven, > > You need to provide a bit more context/information like: > What version of FreeBSD are you using? > In what kind of environment (e.g. on the host itself or in a jail) are > you executing the command? > > If you run the command from inside a jail, you would need to use VNET; > otherwise, you can't edit the routes. > > Regards, > Souji Thanks for your reply. I am running FreeBSD 14.1 BETA 3, but with updates from git.  No jails involved. I was trying to get rtw88 wifi driver to work, I finally figured it out.  But in the process I noticed wlan0 wasn't creating a default route, like when I enable re0 or re1. I was trying this command on the host.  I read the man page and the handbook, but they show the command as I invoked it. Anyway, since I figured out the rc.conf entries, wlan0 gets an IP adx from dhcp and creates a default route.