Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:54:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        steven <stevensl@mindspring.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So we're stuck with using timidity now?

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, steven wrote:

> Just curious.. what the status on the vm/oss "bug"?
>
> I see posts here saying its fixed (from early dec98) others
> saying its still fubar'd. Posts on Usenet are contradictory
> also.
>
> I got OSS's latest version ossfreebsd391i-30x
> I'm using Current from Dec 27 1998 which has their patch
>
> running anything in X with OSS just kills the whole system,
> Quake, Fxtv, X11Amp, mpg123.. you name it

Not to knock such an inexpensive and interesting product ( i used it on
2.2.x a while back ) but how come my drivers don't panic my system?

(i'm using Luigi's)

the problem from what i understand is that OSS dynamically requests large
regeons of contiguous memory, after X is running memory is most likely
quite fragmented and the request hangs wedging the system.

way back when (a year ago) it seemed to only try to alloc the a buffer
when the module was loaded, however it may have changed, either that or
you are trying to load it after memory is way too fragmented.

also having contig_malloc() a bit more robust would be a nice feature...

there were some fixes to help contig_malloc specifically with OSS.

-Alfred