Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:55:07 +0100
From:      "Andre Goeree" <abgoeree@wish.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup deletes *.png files created by peps

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:35:51AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2001-11-23 09:43:38, Andre Goeree wrote:
> > Hello -doc,
> >
> > I am not sure whether this subject has come up in this list before as
> > I am not subscribed to this list (and did not bother to search the
> > archives).
> >
> > Whenever I cvsup the doc tree the following happens:
> > *** Starting cvsup at 09:07:13
> >
> > Parsing supfile "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/doc-supfile"
> > Connecting to cvsup.uk.freebsd.org
> > Connected to cvsup.uk.freebsd.org
> > Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
> > Negotiating file attribute support
> > Exchanging collection information
> > Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> > Running
> > Updating collection doc-all/cvs
> >  Delete doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking/isdn-bus.png
> >  Delete doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking/isdn-twisted-pair.png
> >  Delete doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking/natd.png
>
> 	*default delete
>
> That's what does this, I think.

Yes, that is correct. And CVSup should delete "dead files" (files in
Attic, speaking in cvs terms).

> I haven't used CVSup to update the sources for a while, since I copy
> the entire repository, and use `cvs up' locally to check out changes.
> Perhaps you will find it more useful to grab the doc/ tree in a local
> CVS repository, and then check out what versions of the documents you
> like :)

Hmm, I see no advantage in doing that except that cvs will not delete
these files (by default). All I am interested in is the latest version
of the docs so having a cvs repository around only for this purpose
would be a little overdone.

The whole point is that CVSup (and probably cvs with the right
options) will delete the above mentioned files while it (under all
circumstances) should not delete them. The files are no longer part
of the repo but part of the build now. But because these files are
still listed "dead" (in Attic) CVSup will delete them.

Possible solutions that come to mind:
1. Rename each file to something that doesn't represent a dead file.
   (As mentioned in my first message)
2. Remove the files from Attic, the files will probably never "relive"
   again (I am not a cvs-meister but this should be possible).

-ago