Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:02:20 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Randomness and vnodes

Greg Lehey wrote:
> > For interrupts, the interrupt number is used; for the keyboard, scancodes;
> > the available environmental stuff in the namei cache is centred around
> > vnodes, so I'm looking for dirt in them. Heck - I may just xor the whole
> > thing into an int to get some junk if necessary.
>
> I don't think xoring would be very random, given the number of fields
> with predictable content.  That's my main concern with using vnodes in
> the first place, but if you want to use them, you should at least
> divide and get a remainder.

Ah! There is a theorem (sez Schneier) that says that if you xor two
bits and only one of them is truly random, then the result is truly
random. By xor'ing the lot, I shall get any randomness that is anywhere
in the structure. However, I may lose some, and I may waste time if
only a subset of the struct is random enough.

Mark Murray