Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        impaqds@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mass Confusion

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 impaqds@bellsouth.net wrote:

>    After spending a hour on dozens of web pages concerning
>FREEBSD I decided to download the OS and try it out.
>
>    Funny thing. I cannot find one single reference on any ftp
>readme or index file that tells me what specific name the FREEBSD
>OS is listed under. I found hundreds of files and sub directories with
>absolute zero information as to what constitutes the stand alone OS
>itself. I understand the developer code files and the porting add ons
>in the file listing,but nowhere is there specific names or instructions
>for the stand alone FREEBSD OS anywhere. Come on guys ! If you
>want this thing to be used and developed like UNIX you must cut the
>OS distribution files for installation loose from thousands of
>supplementary and confusing listings.I have talked to other
>developers about FREEBSD and they tried your home site and
>managed to download hundreds of files,but no complete OS. I see
>why they stuck with UNIX. I just wanted to see what the problems
>were. I can see very clearly why FREEBSD is not a mainstrem OS
>like Linux. It is too hard to identify and download the main OS !
>
> Do not take this the wrong way. This is not a spam or a flame,just a
>comment from a confused individual.As a WINDOWS NT network
>manager I am always looking for alternatives to cut costs. I looked at
>LINUX and got ill just reading the docs.; it has a long way to go.
>Remember guys you are trying to convert millions of DOS and
>WINDOWS users and developers who expect flawless one click
>downloads in a GUI environment. Most run screaming and shaken
>when confronted with any text based instructions. Sorry but that's
>the real world for the majority of new age PC owners.

>I deal with them every day and they get dumber every year.

Boy Howdy.

I installed freebsd about a year ago. My only experience with unix was
using "pine" at UW. I do pretty well now.

Try http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

FreeBSD has a program which identifies the main OS for you. That's right!
You don't even have to know _what_ you need to download. You just need to
read the directions.

Don't take this as spam or a flame or anything but, if you had clicked on
the "follow these instructions" link in the home page you would have been
drinking Java(tm) while finishing an install in less time than it took to
write the above message.

So come on back and download that boot floppy and you will be on your way.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/