Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:28:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga <atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br>
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> I do know. The main reason why LFS was never updated isn't that it was
> made obsolete by softupdates, as claimed above, but that it was made
> obsolete by JFS. Why work on LFS if it is not up to a JFS?

  Well, a log structured file system has some interesting performance
characteristics.  It is also rather a curiosity too, as there are so few
implementations.  I understand that the WAFL filesystem is basically log
structured.

> Unfortunately, the people who have to suffer enourmous waits after
> crashes usually have way more to do, even if they have the skills to fix
> LFS.
>
> With the disks getting bigger and bigger, this is due to change.
>
> BTW, NetBSD is happy with _their_ _functional_ LFS.

  Maybe somebody should import it.

  I was kind of disappointed to learn that the U in NetBSD UVM doesn't
stand for unified, and that NetBSD still doesn't have a unified VM.  This
pretty much kills any advantage NetBSD could have these days.

> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org
>
> 	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."

Tom
Uniserve